Next weekend (Jan. 25 – 27) is Vogue Knitting Live at the midtown Marriott – let’s have a contest! During the weekend of Vogue, find one of our posters at the show and take a picture with it. Shy? Take a picture of your Vogue shawl or sweater, favorite thing you bought at the Marketplace, or what you worked on in class. Just make sure the poster is visible! Post your picture (publicly so we can find it!) to Facebook or Instagram with the hashtag #VogueLIYC2019. One lucky person will win up to $15 worth of Ravelry patterns! One entry per person, winners will be announced by Feb 1, 2019. Good luck and enjoy VKL!
Hear ye, hear ye… Help start off the year by spreading the word, mark your calendars for April 4 – 7. The 5th annual Long Island Yarn crawl is on!
Help spread the word by:
- Print out two copies of the poster.
- Posting it in two different public places.
- Take a picture of yourself and your two posters and post to Instagram using hash tags:
The contest runs January 1 – March 15th. Each Instagram post that contains two images is one entry to the contest. Winners and prizes will be announced March 30th.
We are happy to share that during the 2019 yarn crawl (April 4-7th) we will be collecting knit and crochet items for the Ronald McDonald House of Long Island.
See details of how to drop of your knit/crochet items during the crawl weekend. https://longislandyarncrawl.com/charity-knitcrochet/
April 4 – 7
Save the date for the 2019 yarn crawl!
Nestled in historic downtown Port Jefferson, Knitting Cove and Yarn Shop has been a fixture in town for over 50 years. Friendly and inviting to knitters and crocheters of all levels, our cozy shop carries yarn from Berroco, Cascade, Plymouth, Juniper Moon, Lana Grossa, Alpaca Yarn Company, Feza, and more!
We offer monthly class sessions, specialty classes and Sweater Club throughout the month. There will be special sales and many kits to choose from.
We are thrilled to have an amazing array of talent in our shop for the crawl!
- Toby Roxanne of Toby Roxanne Designs will be with us on Thursday, April 19th from 5 – 8pm,
- Shanna from Lambstrings Yarn on Friday, April 20th
- Jessie from Yarn Over New York on Saturday, April 21 st
- and on Sunday, April 22nd Andi Javori from Javori Designs.
- We will have extended hours for the crawl and join us on Thursday evening
from 6:30 – 8:30pm for a wine and cheese party to celebrate the start of the 4th Annual Long Island Yarn Crawl!
Don’t forget…we have moved to
116 East Main Street, Port Jefferson.
Knit is located in the historic village of Roslyn at 1353 Old Northern Blvd. The shop is a “hidden gem” nestled on the side porch of our building. Crafters are welcome to come and sit at our tables where new friendships are made and old friends get together. We like to call our store the “Cheers” of knitting stores, the place where everyone knows your name. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff is always available to help you.
The first Wednesday of each month is Knit Nite from 7-9pm. Bring dinner and spend the evening knitting and crocheting with people who share your enthusiasm.
This year, we have started “The Shawl Club”. Every 4-6 weeks, we start a new shawl knit-along. Each one features a different yarn which gives you an opportunity to try something new. Our next featured shawl will be Architexture by Jennifer Weissman and we will be knitting it in Araucania Huasco Heathers. Pick up the yarn during the crawl and be ready when we start on May 4th and May 5th.
Yarn Crawl Highlights:
- We have been very busy designing new pieces for this year. We have new store patterns for both the knitter and the crocheter. We will be featuring new patterns for hats, cowls and baby sweaters in brand new kits.
- During the crawl, we are lucky to have a new indie dyer trunk shows from Cozy Color Works. Sandy, the force behind the yarn, will be in the shop on Friday and Saturday to talk with you.
- Have you seen Wollmeise Yarns from Germany? As the only shop on Long Island carrying this yarn, it’s a great opportunity to see this beautiful yarn.
- Anne Canadeo, the author of Black Sheep & Company Mysteries will be at the shop on Saturday. Stop by and talk with her and your story might be in her next book. If you have a copy of one of her books, bring it along and she’ll be happy to sign it.
- Have you tried Lykke needles? We carry the full range of Lykke needles and hooks, including all kits and extra cords.
- Saturday, April 21st is Local Yarn Store Day. We will be celebrating with surprise special events throughout the day.
- Keeping with our yarn crawl tradition, we will be hosting a wine and cheese party on Friday night from 6:00 to 8:00pm. Stop by to unwind after a day of crawling!
Yarn Crawl Specials:
- Our store pattern for the yarn crawl is a baby blanket made with Ella Rae DK Merino Superwash and all Ella Rae yarns will be discounted 10 % during the crawl.
- We’ve restocked Nancy’s Nook with new sale merchandise so be sure to check it out.
- With every purchase of $75.00 or more, you will receive a special gift from Knit.
The Knitting Garden
The Knitting Garden welcomes everyone to the Fourth Annual Long Island Yarn Crawl. As always, we are thrilled to be part of the Yarn Crawl again this year! The best part for us is seeing all our old friends and making new ones.
The Knitting Garden is conveniently located in Huntington Village at 49 Green St. The Knitting Garden offers an extensive and beautiful selection of yarns in a bright & cheerful atmosphere. We have many new samples, specials & kits for you!
Need help starting a project? We can help you choose the right pattern, yarn and needles whether you are a beginner or an expert. Drop in anytime and have a seat at our active, friendly knitting table. Knit with friends or get help your project. There is no problem too small or too big whether knit or crochet.
We offer lots of classes, KAL’s, and instruction in a friendly & welcoming environment. Sign up for our email list to know what’s happening at our shop.
Come and celebrate this year’s Yarn Crawl at our wine & cheese gathering Thursday April 19 from 5-7 pm. Please join us!
We are very excited to welcome Backyard Fiberworks to our shop on Saturday, April 21. Be sure to join us & check out their gorgeous yarns & Trunk Show!
As always our Sale Corner will be well stocked with oodles of bargains!
The Knitting Place is nestled in the heart of Port Washington, a quaint little town along the water, dotted with great restaurants, and charming shops. The Knitting Place is filled with an extensive selection from basic yarns to luxurious fibers in an abundant array of color.
Can’t picture how a yarn will work up? We have many knit and crocheted samples to inspire you! If you are looking for unique, our exclusive designs truly set us apart from the rest.
Our staff is quite skilled, with over 18 years of experience. We are versed in both knitting and crochet, and we take great pride in our fine finishing services
We are proud of our warm sense of community. Our communal table welcomes all skill levels. Whether you are new to the craft or an old timer, you are always welcome at The Knitting Place!
- We will be featuring Myak Yarns and showcasing a trunk show with their yarn.
- Local Indie Dyer, Stephanie, from Asylum Fibers, will be at our shop on Saturday. We are excited to see all the new yarn she will be bringing.
- Our annual “basement sale” will be open from 12:30pm – 6pm on Thursday and Friday as well as 10 – 6pm on Saturday and Sunday.
- There will be door prizes everyday! If you participated in the Mermaid Spell KAL. WEAR IT! You will be eligible for another door prize.
- Special gifts will be given for purchase over $50 and over $75.
Looking forward to seeing you all!
A unique experience awaits you when you visit us for the Long Island Yarn Crawl – we’re not a store, we’re a FARM! Long Island Yarn & Farm is a 17-acre yarn and fiber farm in Yaphank, committed to the well being of fibered livestock, specializing in llamas. Fiber, mohair and wool are the by-products from the animals on our farm. As a professional shearer and yarn designer, founder and farm owner, Tabbethia Haubold-Magee, utilizes this fiber, as well as fiber from other American farms, in the production of our own yarns. These yarns put a face with the fiber from nature….and through the hand knit garments made, connect people to the animals we love. Our line of yarns are all limited edition, highlighting the natural colors of the animals, spun in small batches and only available through Long Island Livestock Co with each skein numbered and entirely Made in the USA. We work with designers to provide exclusive pattern support for all the yarns we create.
We also carry unique items you can only find here including our Shepherdess Skincare, an all natural, handcrafted lanolin based product line, accessories such as handcrafted sweater guards, and finished products such as handwoven blankets, scarves, shrugs, socks and so much more.
While you are here shopping, please save time to tour yourself around the farm and visit with the animals – our sheep, angora goats, hens, “Olive” our angora rabbit, and of course, all of the llamas are waiting to meet you! You’ll be able to see how last year’s crias (baby llamas) are growing up! There may even be a guest appearance by some lambs from The Suffolk County Farm & Education Center. Please check our Instagram or Facebook account daily for outdoor activity updates.
Our farm store will be open from 10am – 6pm each day of the Crawl, and we welcome “by appointment only” any other time of the year. We are passionate about our animals and about fiber and look forward to the opportunity to share them with you.
If you haven’t been here before, you’ll be coming to a residential area. We are in a red house, and there’ll be a big black and white wooden cut out of our llama “Count” to greet you at the mailbox! Please see the directions on our website, www.lilivestockco.com/directions as some GPS devices take you to the back of our property. Any problems, please call 631-924-8110 or 631-680-6721.
Altman’s Needlearts is located on Love Lane in the heart of LI’s North Fork, in the midst of wine country. Our agricultural and maritime environment is beautiful, and reason alone to visit the area. But you might as well check out the yarn shop while you’re here… And enjoy the seven food & beverage establishments just on our block!
Our shop is stocked with quality yarns (both fashion and easy-care), hooks and needles, books and patterns, buttons, sewing notions, baskets and bags, and greeting cards, too. We also have needlefelting kits and supplies, as well as threads for needlepoint and embroidery. Lots of stitchery kits for beginners, too.
We offer knitting, crochet, sewing and needlework classes year-round for all ages, beginners and seasoned stitchers alike. We enjoy helping our customers find new projects, and will happily assist anyone with their project, whether it’s an ancient UFO or something brand new.
All are welcome to drop in to our free weekly gatherings on Mondays 10am-12pm and Thursdays 6-8pm. The Sock Circle meets the First Friday of every month 5:30-8:30pm. Every day at Altman’s you will meet talented and friendly people ready to share techniques and give encouragement with a smile.
We are looking forward to greeting you during the 4th annual Long Island Yarn Crawl!