As yarn people we have big, generous hearts and are constantly making things for family and friends. We know that extends beyond ourselves and family to the community. That generosity extends beyond ourselves and our friends, to crafting for members of the community at large who have a need – cancer patients, premature babies, veterans, the homeless, animal shelters, and more. As knitters and crocheters across Long Island come together during our Yarn Crawl to shop and to meet new friends, we would also like to come together to support two wonderful local charities.
We are asking yarn crawl participants while you carefully plan which shops to visit and which friends to carpool with, consider also planning a preemie hat or baby blanket project.
We hope to make this a reoccurring event where we support a different local charity every year. This year our projects will be going to Winthrop Hospital in Nassau County and Stony Brook Hospital in Suffolk County. These charities were chosen because they are a cause close to our organizers’ hearts, with two friends fairly recently having preemies. If you have suggestions for next year’s charities please let us know.
Winthrop Hospital in Nassau County has a program called Precious Purls where they coordinate hats and blankets for their preemies.
Stony Brook Hospital in Suffolk has a program through the Stony Brook Stitchers that knits for preemies in addition to others in the hospital.
For 2015 we collected and donated:
- 322 hats and 29 blankets to Winthrop Hospital Preemies
- 399 hats and 44 blankets to Stoneybrook Preemies
What to Do
- Choose any machine washable yarn, including superwash wools.
- Knit or Crochet a hat or blanket. The patterns below are only suggestions, please use any pattern you like as long as your sizing matches
- Preemie Hats – Preemies heads grow rapidly, so hats can be 8″, 9″, 10″, 11″ around.
- Preemie Blankets – Blankets should be approximately 24″ wide and 28″ long.
- Print out the following label, fill it out, attach the label to your project with a removable pin.
- Drop your projects off at any shop during your yarn crawl weekend out and about.
Following the yarn crawl, the yarn crawl organizers will collect all the donated hats & blankets from the yarn shops. Projects donated to shops in Nassau County will be delivered to Winthrop Hospital and those donated in Suffolk County shops will go to Stony Brook Hospital.
After all the donated hats & blankets have been collected from the yarn shops we will hold a drawing for the following prizes. Each donated hat is one entry into the drawing and every blanket is three entries.
- Hiya Hiya Accessory Gift set
- 3 skeins of Malabrigo
- Jade Sapphire yarn with glove pattern
- Jade Sapphire yarn with ponchette pattern
- Trendsetter scarf pattern with yarn
- Skacel Bags & Needle
- Vogue Knitting NYC 2016 – lecture & marketplace tickets
- Knitting Fresh Brioche by Nancy Merchant books
- Rowan Fine Art Cowl Kit
- Bryson Accessories Case
- Filature du Crosa Cowl Kit
- Taki Hat & Wrist Warmer Kit
Prize recipients are:
- Marge Geary
- Carolyn Predmore
- Terry O’Brien
- Susan Kerr
- Wendy Levy
- Lorraine Hansen
- Karen Golutta
- Mary Evanov
- Donna McGoldrick
- Misti McCormack
- Pat Iannucci
- Lois Gaream
- Joanne Ottone
- Regina Napolitano
- Grace Verderosa
- Beth Pallas
- Sandra Beysolow
- Pat Telschow
- Marci Ostroff
- Judy Horvath
- Gail Guerin
- Ann Weinblad
- Gail Seylar
- Alona Meyer
- Barbara Parlante
- Carol B. Feder
- Mariam Lebow
- Susan Cochrane
- Connie Lanci
Thank you for your generosity!