As yarn people we have big, generous hearts and are constantly making things for family and friends. That generosity extends beyond ourselves and our friends, to crafting for members of the community at large who have a need – cancer patients, premature babies, veterans, the homeless, animal shelters, and more. As knitters and crocheters across Long Island come together during our Yarn Crawl to shop and to meet new friends, we would also like to come together to support our wonderful local charities.
We are asking yarn crawl participants while you carefully plan which shops to visit and which friends to carpool with, consider also planning a preemie hat or baby blanket project.
This year our projects will be going to the Ronald McDonald House Long Island!
If you have suggestions for next year’s charities please let us know.
For 2017 we collected and donated:
- 1193, blankets, hats, of all sizes, gloves, scarves and animals!!! The generosity and warmth is truly amazing!
What to Do
- Choose any machine washable yarn, including superwash wools.
- Knit or Crochet a hat or blanket. The patterns below are only suggestions, please use any pattern you like as long as your sizing matches
- Preemie Hats – Preemies heads grow rapidly, so hats can be 8″, 9″, 10″, 11″ around.
- Preemie Blankets – Blankets should be approximately 24″ wide and 28″ long.
- Print out the following label, fill it out, attach the label to your project with a removable pin.
- Drop your projects off at any shop during your yarn crawl weekend out and about.
Following the yarn crawl, the yarn crawl organizers will collect all the donated hats & blankets from the yarn shops. Projects donated to shops in Nassau County will be delivered to Winthrop Hospital and those donated in Suffolk County shops will go to Stony Brook Hospital.
After all the donated hats & blankets have been collected from the yarn shops we will hold a drawing for the following prizes.
Thank you for your generosity!